Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Is it a Sin?

This has been a post that I've been contemplating for several Weeks now, but wasn't sure I was capable of making sense of it.

But, I've decided to give it a go and really look forward to thoughts & opinions.



I don't know about you, but I can be pretty morbid at times. Not intentionally, but kind. of realistically.

Someone dies, and naturally I tend to think about someone I love dying. Family, close friends.
How would I handle it?

My initial thought, absolutely terribly.

I know People who lose a Spouse and handle it amazingly well. At least, it seems so. They pack up & move on. Or they can talk about the Person, no problem.
Or there are others, who handle it extremely hard-- but are able to live normally within a Year.

Then there is me...
I find that when I even let the thought of my Husband passing away flicker in my mind, the tears come immediately.
I'm almost entirely certain I would die of heartbreak.

So then I was thinking about little tid bits that I've heard from people.
Things like,
"They're not suffering anymore...think of that!"
"It was just their time. It'll get better
" If someone passes away, and you know they're going to Heaven. Why worry? Trust God's plan."

...That last one really got me thinking.
At first I was like, "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!"
Of course if the Person that passes away is a Christian, you have this peace that you'll see them again. And a peace that they don't have to deal with this craptastic World anymore.

But then I was pulled back to....
But I would be alone.
My entire World would change.
I wouldn't look at anything the same.
I wouldn't want to see anything that reminded me of them, but at the same time...I wouldn't be able to get rid of anything either.

So...
If you're so heartbroken and distraught that you pass away from almost literal heartbreak...
Is it a Sin?
Because you're not relying on God to take care of you without that person?
Wouldn't it be almost like....suicide?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this answer isn't quite black and white. If we're talking about losing someone and then just giving up and dying over a period of time, we may have to ask if there is something going on in our heart. Is God still our #1? Are we turning upon ourselves for strength and comfort? Are we feeding our pain? Are we living for it? Grieving is a natural process. It is a part of our humanness. But there are times when we don't want to be healed. We don't want to go on. We become addicted to pain and to the attention that comes with it from others.

As somebody who has lost a parent, and as someone who has seen my elderly grandparents lose three of their four children in a span of five years (two in the same year), I've witnessed exactly what the human heart can go through and survive.

But is it sin? Don't we need to start with defining what sin is? Many Christians define it as a willful disobedience of the known will or law of God. I think we can reduce it down to this though: self-sufficiency. We think we can handle our own lives ourselves.

So to answer your question, it depends on the situation. Have we given up? Have lost lost focus on our earthly purpose (being God's handiwork, glorifying him, and the Great Commission)? Did we even have that focus before the death? Has God provided us grace, peace and strength to overcome? If so, have we rejected it? Have we chosen to cling to the pain? Or did the pain just hit us and our bodies gave out?

There's just no clear-cut answer. There's a level of relativity attached to each situation.

We should just be safe to make sure that the only relationship we're completely attached to is our relationship with God. He always comes first. If our relationship is healthy with Him, we'll be in a much better state.

Bekah Mallette said...

I don't think it would be a sin, but then again who am I to say? We will never know. God is the one who is judging. Losing a loved one is hard. My fiance lost his brother a few months ago, and it was so hard, even for myself. To this day, I still can't believe he is gone; it is so crazy to think about. But God understands your hurt, pain, and suffering and I think he would think it ok. After all, he was the one who suffered the most for all of His children. He knows exactly how you feel and grieving is okay. As long as you eventually take the time to overcome and "resurrect" just as the Lord did.

Rodger Joyce moyer said...

Some things of life don't mean anything until YOU go through it.........God doesn't give us dying grace until we need it. Make sense? --mama