Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I Am Able.

Today, as I was driving home from the store, I was blissfully enjoying a warm summer breeze blowing through the windows and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds blaring through the speakers.

I drove past someone standing outside their house, whom I immediately recognized as a woman who I've seen other times on the same route. She has a disability in her legs, that prevents her from walking normally. Despite the disability she's living with, she's always dressed in bright, cheerful colors and working on her garden, which is beautiful by the way.

On this same route, I passed a gorgeous old home that is occupied by a woman who attends our church. She's not there right now though- because this past week, one of her adult sons passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack.

I felt tears welling in my eyes, an ache in my heart.
For these two women, one of whom I don't even know personally, and the trials that they're going through in life right now. Both physically and emotionally.

And in these same few moments- God tugged at my heart and challenged me with something simple.

Being without a job has been, honestly, really nice.
Throughout my last Nanny position, I felt like I was living in a constant state of chaos. Unpredictable schedules, never even aware of what day of the week it was.
That being said, I've definitely been in a subtle state of laziness lately. Eating a lot of things I shouldn't, binge watching tv shows, and feeling a pull to do something more significant, but not having the gumption.

I realized today, that it's time to change that.
We often hear "live each day as if it's your last"- but in that same way, we should utilize our abilities- because what if tomorrow- you're no longer able to use them?

I have it easy right now.
There are things that bother me, things I could do without in life- but I have no physical ailments at the moment and I have no emotional struggles, either. That, in and of itself, is such a gift.

I have the ability to be kind to everyone I meet, both strangers and friends alike.
I have the ability to go for walks- because my legs allow me to.
I have the ability to be a light in a broken, confused, fearful world.
I have the ability to choose healthy foods- and fuel my body.

I am able to do more.

....(And so are you!)

No comments: