Thursday, April 5, 2018

Apartment Living (and a few other random bits)

Yesterday it was blustery- Mom and I were on our way home from visiting my younger Sister and we counted 4 or 5 vehicles in the ditches along the way. Today though, it's as if no snow had come at all and the sun is shining through the windows. Thankful for that.

I have Charles Trenet radio going on Pandora- if you know me at all (or at least receive Snapchats from me!) you know that this is the station I listen to when I want to get things done. Cooking dinner, writing, cleaning. It's just kind of....whimsy and fun. And makes me feel like I'm actually somewhere in France, which, I can deal with. 

Quick life update- Kyle has started a new job. Yes, you did read that right. If I'm honest, I'm not sure this job is "the one" yet, either, but I'm hopeful. When you've done one job for 10+ years....figuring out what else suits you is HARD. The guy is a natural with interviews & he's a hard worker- so I know he'll find the right position. 
I'm still looking for work- I've applied for about 25 Nanny positions. I recently had learned that the site I have been using for years, now requires that either you or the Family pay for a subscription- otherwise you can't exchange emails. So....I wasted a bit of time. Thankfully, I've been receiving emails finally and things are looking up. I had thought I snagged an interesting opportunity for an interview this weekend, but in a quick 24 hour period it fell through. Bummer.
Aside from hunting for Nanny jobs (also, let me throw out there... some have inquired as to why I'm not looking for something outside of Nannying...which I'm open to! But I want to do something I'll at least like a little, you know? Again with the whole...this is what I've been doing for 10+ years thing.)- I think I may actually attempt writing that children's book I've been thinking about for the last several years. I don't really have a time frame for when I want it to be done, things are just too all over the place right now, but I do have some fun ideas rolling around. It will of course have to include some animals :) Would it really be a book by me if it didn't?! 

But onto the reason you're probably reading this blog post!

Our apartment.
It's a small space and so I only include a few before/after photos- but we're happy with the way things are coming together. It's seemed like a theme for us, but our spare room/guest room is always a work in progress. It's kind of an "everything" space. I would LOVE to find a small desk to put in there so that when I do write, whether working on the book, a blog post, or writing cards...I have a special space to do those things- instead of my current situation, plopping down on the couch.





I was super skeptical about moving back into an apartment. Especially an apartment building- our first apartment together was the bottom level of a remodeled home and we were the only tenants. Plus, we're 30 years old. Aren't we supposed to be soaking up home-ownership and creating a magazine worthy space whilst raising our 4 perfect children?


The answer to that question is- No. I've surprised myself at how much I've loved our little space. Admittedly, I would like more space in the kitchen for sure. But I'm digging the fact that we have SO much less maintenance. The home we had bought in CT was our desperate attempt at some freedom. Our landlord was bothersome and we wanted to adopt more pets and make our home OUR'S without having to consult with someone else first. But it was difficult and lacked a lot of what we had told ourselves we wanted in the beginning. (open floor plan, at least one garage, finished basement....none of which were included)
























     
  We're not sure how long we'll be here- maybe till the end of the year? Maybe an additional 6 months to a year? Our dream is to build a home, but I have no idea how realistic that is. BUT. I'm trying to soak up this place. And this time in our lives. Decorating the space we have, minimally, and working on paying down youth-debt, I call it. 
























      Overall, our apartment is cozy and clean, which is basically what my goal is for any space we live in. We love that we can leave our apartment sans car and go on a nice walk down pretty neighborhoods, over to the library, the movie theater, or downtown for a coffee and a little shopping. 
There will be a local business sharing our building in the next couple of weeks and that should be interesting. Additionally, management would like to add some restaurants, possibly a gym, or retail spaces to the lower level of our building. For now though, it's quiet with only 11 or so other apartments- which we kind of love. 

So, if you're partial to an air mattress- come visit! :)

No comments: