Friday, November 22, 2013

Don't Focus on That!

Ever have those Weeks (or days, which sounds nicer...) where you just want to curl up in bed because you feel unsettled about life?

Ugh.
Me, too.

Last night was one such night and I found myself wallowing in despair of one thing or another. And woke up this Morning feeling like maybe I had too much to drink last night (I had water) and also, feeling sorry for myself.

I was browsing Instagram and found a photo that changed my entire thought process.

It wasn't the photo, it was the verse connected to the photo.

" For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. " Proverbs 23:7.
Whatever you focus on, you become.


How stinkin' true is that?!
I could note several reasons why I wallow every few days about something silly (and sometimes, truly, not entire silly)- things like, having no close friends nearby. Or not having other co-workers to converse with. Or not being entirely happy with my current physical state.

But at the end of any day, it's all about what I focus on that makes me who I am. 
And honestly, that makes me want to go outside, dig myself a hole, and go hide in it. (While it's raining, for more effect.) 

Because all too often I focus on tomorrow, or next week, or next Summer even. And I freak out. I become anxious and sometimes, not pleasant to be around. (Here Mom, I'll say it for you. "I feel sorry for Kyle." )

I want to choose, Joy.


4 comments:

k said...

those are true true words...

Anonymous said...

amen amen!! it's hard not to let the anxiety overtake you, but joy is so much better, huh :) xoxo

Cee said...

We definitely all have these days - in fact, I'm in the middle of one right now. Choosing to focus on the good things is just the first step, and it's often a struggle, but it goes such a long way. Thanks for the reminder :)
xox,
Cee

Unknown said...

This is exactly how I felt on and off in the past few months. I know now ... I will choose joy any moment! :)